Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting Back on Track

In many ways, summer is an excellent time to get back in shape. However, summer can also bring many wonderful opportunities for eating and drinking (Dad's 50th b-day party, a music festival, a trip to Georgia, a friend's wedding, etc. . . ), and unwanted weight gain. After a big week or a big weekend, you might be feeling off track (I sure am). Here's what you can do to bounce back after a calorie-packed weekend:

  1. Drink Lots of Water (and avoid alcohol and caffeine). Water can help flush out your system, and rehydrate you after a big drinking weekend. You will feel more energized and cleansed! 
  2. Eat regularly. Our bodies tend to crave more sugar and fat after a weekend filled with good food.  However, try and limit these foods and stick to a normal, well balanced diet (aim for 5 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going). Look for recipes in this blog if you need some suggestions (i.e. Breakfast Smoothie).
  3. Workout a Teensy Bit Harder. I read in a magazine that getting back on track requires about "four miles a day" of exercise (for a few days). This can be achieved running, walking, or doing any cardio activity/machine. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but aim to break a sweat for at least 30-45 minutes, and add some strength training too. If you need motivation to workout, check out "5 Unconventional Reasons to Workout" listed in the entry below. 
  4. Sleep. Our bodies crave sugar when we are tired. Aim for at least 8 hours a night.
  5. Don't stress out. Sometimes we begin to feel stressed when we sense extra pounds coming on. For me, this has always been a vicious cycle. Stay relaxed, praise yourself for small things, and stick to your normal routine. You should feel back to normal in a day or two.
Well whatever it was that's making you feel a little "off," I hope you had a great weekend anyway. Sometimes it's better to live in the moment and enjoy yourself, and then put in a little extra effort to get back on track. Hope these suggestions help!

Enjoy these pics from my Dad's 50th Birthday party: 

Natural Beauties

I was especially proud of my fancy shoes.

Mom & Pie

Dad's band: He's not 50!

Double chocolate cake. Yes please!


We were trying to be artistic. . .

My pose for America's Next Top Model

Brothers' Band playing a great set. 

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Dana!!!!!!!!!!!! :) You have some GREAT tips on here! :) And how are Leah and Laura???!! I haven't seen or talked to them in such a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who is the other girl in the picture with Leah and Laura... I think i know here too!....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you everyone!! I hope you find these useful. Elyse- the girl in the first pic is Tallie. I'm not sure if you met her, since we knew her in middle school. Let me know if you ever have any topics that you want me to write about. I will research and put them up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually think I know her from Sacred Heart Daycare lol.... SMALL WORLD! :) And I LOVE your tips. Maybe do something on Best things to buy in the grocery store that can be used to make many different meals (aka: things to buy on a budget that will make LOTS of things/are also really good for you). I dunno if that makes sense... but yeah. Ill try and think of more too :)

    ReplyDelete