Monday, May 23, 2011

Dana's Cous Cous

Hello! I am currently eating a delicious cous-cous dinner that I just created moments ago. I was so excited to write about it, that I haven't even finished eating.

You can make cous-cous with anything! Here are some basic instructions for cous-cous with veggies:

1) Select which vegetables you would like to add.

2) Select which vegetables you would like to heat up (either steamed or sauteed), and which vegetables you would like to keep cold.

3) Begin chopping your veggies. Look at how beautiful they are! Mmmmm. . . 


You can see here that I chose mushrooms, tomato, orange pepper, and cucumber. I kept the tomatoes and cucumbers cold, and sauteed the mushrooms and pepper with garlic and seasoning.

To make the cous-cous:
Boil 1 & 1/4 cup of water
Once boiling, add 1 cup of cous-cous
Remove from heat immediately and cover.
Let stand for 5 minutes
Fluff cous-cous with a fork.

It should look like this:


While your cous-cous is cooking, you can begin cooking your veggies. 


Once the cous-cous is ready, add your veggies!



Reasons Why I love Cous-Cous:
I love cous-cous because it is very easy to make. It also tastes different every time you make it, depending on which veggies you add. You can also make cous-cous with chicken broth; red-wine vinegar; butter;  different seasonings, and dressings.

Right now, I am eating my cous cous with Annie's Goddess Dressing and a squirt of lemon. I also seasoned the cous-cous with salt and pepper.

Lastly, it is great to take for lunch the next day: You can see how I already set aside my portion for tomorrow: 


One downside to this meal:
This meal does not have a lot of protein. Right now, I am eating it as my main course, but it would be wiser to eat it with a pork chop, chicken, or tofu. Instead, I choose to have dessert!


Toffee & Almonds in Milk Chocolate.  
The best part about this is that there is a love poem inside! I keep my chocolate bar in the fridge so it is nice and cold. I usually have 2-3 squares at a time. 

That's all for now, folks! Thanks for tuning in to Dana's Cous Cous Meal. 
Try it and let me know what you think!

P.S. Thank you, Kat, for helping me customize my blog- it looks much better now.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I made my own version of your cous cous tonight so I thought I'd share :) I used Israeli cous cous, red peppers, onions, zucchini squash, and some herbs (oregano, basil, I forget what else). I also added some chicken seasoned with a little bit of pepper and garlic. With my side salad of baby greens, grape tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and a glass of almond milk, I had the perfect (and very filling) meal. Plus, I have a whole second meal of leftovers ready to go when I need it!

    ReplyDelete