Saturday, May 21, 2011

Farmer's Market a Bust, but Sprouts Market - Awesome!

Hello everyone,
Today I checked out the Greeley Farmer's Market for the first time. It was the smallest, most depressing farmer's market I have ever seen! One lady told me that it will get bigger as the summer goes on, but I was dissapointed not to find any fresh berries or local veggies. Luckily, there is a Sprouts Farmer's Market about 5 miles from my house, so my friend and I went there for the first time. Sprouts is similar to Trader Joes. . . lots of delicious food for great prices.

Sprouts exits in 4 states including CO, CA, TX, and AZ.
In Colorado, there are stores in:
Parker
Aurora
Boulder
Greeley
Fort Collins
Westminister
Centennial
Lone Tree
Castle Rock
If you look online @ http://sprouts.com/home.php, you will find many store locations and local deals.

Here is my shopping list and how much I spent:
Bulk:
Couscous- $1.85
Cinnamon Yogurt Pretzels- $2.99 (a splurge, but it's good to have a few yummy treats around the house).

Dairy:
Yoghurt- $2.00
Cheddar Cheese- $3.17
Smoked Goat Cheese from Haystack Mtn (close by)- $5.99 (I was overcharged for this- the price for this was actually 4.99).

Frozen:
Naan Pizza- $2.49
Kashi Organic Whole-grain Waffles- $3.19

Produce (Best Part!!):
Broccoli Crown- $0.37
Small Avocado- $0.99
Mushrooms (bulk)- $1.04 (cheaper to buy your own bag then an already-packed one. Plus, less wasteful.)
Yellow Onion- $0.25
Blackberries- $1.50
Strawberries- $2.50
Org Grape Tomatoes- $1.99
(Total this was $8.64). When people say they don't buy healthy food because it is "too expensive", they are simply uninformed about where and how to buy healthy produce. These fruits and veggies will go great with every meal, and they will last me for the rest of the week. 

Grocery
TLC Crackers- $2.69
Tea- Throat Coat/Lemon Ech- $3.99
Organic Tomato Soup- $2.76
Annies Goddess Dressing (large size)- $4.11
Diced Tomatoes- $0.99
Snap Pea Crisps (such a great snack!!)- 2 bags for $3.00

My total was $49.49, and they took $0.05 off for each resuable bag that I used. Here is a store that shares many of my similar values when it comes to food- they have tons of stuff in bulk, they have very cheap and reasonable produce, they sell local food, AND they reward you for bringing your own bags.
Sprouts is my new favorite store! Check out one near you.

Have a great, sunny weekend!

Love,
Dana

http://sprouts.com/home.php

No comments:

Post a Comment