Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yoga- Ommm

Being the Type A person that I am, I struggle with yoga. I've attempted it on and off since I was 14, but I've never committed to it. I always go to class expecting to clear my mind of all things chaotic; stretch out my muscles, and relax. Instead, here's what happens when I go to Yoga: my to-do list runs through my mind. . . over and over and over again.

But, I think there is hope. I went to a yoga class tonight, and I've decided that it is good for me. The gym at UNC offers 2 classes per week, one that is more "hard-core" (lots of planks, squats, etc), and one that is much more relaxing.

As I was lying on my back, thinking slowly about each part of my body (and trying to ignore my intrusive thoughts), the teacher said;

"As thoughts run through your mind, briefly acknowledge them, and then let them drift away with your breath." 

WOW!! IT WORKED!!!! 
A thought would pop up ("chapter 6 tonight with chapter review- that'll take at least an hour"), and then poof! I willed it away with my breath. This is how all of my thoughts were treated- as mere ants crawling on my foot, that I swiftly brushed off.

I liked that by the end of yoga I felt "cleansed" of the day's stress. It gave me perspective on all of the annoying little things that happened today (there were a lot, for some reason). I felt clear headed, and hungry (must have burned some calories!).

I've decided people like me should go to yoga more often:  we have more stress, we obsess over details, and we are constantly busy! The type B personalities, who are already laid back and zenful about life, LOVE yoga! It fits right in with their personalities (whereas Zumba fits in with mine). 

Therefore, I am making a promise to myself. While I'm living in Greeley, and I'm in walking distance to a yoga class (it's included as part of my inexpensive membership), I will go once a week for the rest of the summer. Hopefully by that time, the pain in my neck will go away, and I will have mastered the ability to ignore nagging thoughts (at least for one hour).

Wish me luck!
Love,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment