Thursday, May 26, 2011

Staying Healthy over Memorial Day Weekend

I am just as excited for a long weekend as I am sure many of you are. Long weekends are a chance to hang out with friends, see family, go to concerts/festivals, and relax. They are also multiple opportunities for eating, thanks to the many BBQ's, parties, and outdoor festivals (i.e. Boulder Creek Fest). I love eating, since I talk about it constantly.

However, these types of weekends often leave me feeling bloated. I tend to overeat in social environments (back to the Behaviorist idea), where there is an abundance of chips, snacks, street food, etc.  Since I'm not running the Boulder Boulder at the end of the weekend, I have to make a conscious effort not to overeat. 

Here are some of my strategies for staying healthy over the long weekend:

1) Exercise- a lot! If you do plan on attending outdoor events, be sure to walk around as much as possible. Go for a hike or a bike ride. Play beach volleyball- do anything that requires you to put down your hamburger and move. Plus, what better time than a long weekend to make time for yourself? 

2) Bring snacks with you. I'm planning on leaving Greeley this weekend (seeing Becca D. and Laura C. -so excited!), and therefore don't have my familiar fridge and pantry. I plan on always having snacks readily available that I can feel good about eating (fruit, veggies, humus, string cheese, rice crackers, Lara bars, etc).

3) Limit alcohol (I know, this is such a boring one). Socializing also increases our drinking, and when we drink, we also eat more. Sad, but true. 

4) Don't stress too much about it. The bottom line is to have fun this weekend, and if you are stressing about calories or exercise you will mostly likely overeat due to those emotions. So, enjoy yourself, and if you have to, get back on track on Tuesday!

Happy Memorial Day!

Love,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment